Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 2014 06:12:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Quick fix exhaust job
Comments: To: "Chris S." <szpejankowski@gmail.com>

Chris, I didn't follow the whole thread here but if you are having an exhaust built for your ABA you might be interested in seeing what I did on mine a while back. With a few minor false starts and little mistakes it seems to work very well indeed, The inline motor is a hybrid with the 2.0 L ABA bottom end mated to a cross-flow !.8 L head...I was previously running the single downpipe exhaust, diesel-style. Quite restrictive and an awful thing to install with those nasty spring clips...

When I replaced the block with a 2.0 ABA (93 Jetta) I also decided to improve the exhaust system. I was consulting with Techtonic's Tuning during the engine-build. They are one of the best VW tuner shops around and the source of many of the parts I used in this swap. They've done lot of dyno testing developing their own exhaust systems for this motor, but theirs is 'sedan-specific' and pricey. They kindly shared their findings with me, suggesting that for best all around torque, the primaries should be very close to 30" long before they merged into one tube, ..When all was done, we got mine to ~29" to the apex of the merge collector (Y-Pipe) that I sourced from SPD Exhaust (another great resource) I used a Magnaflow SS 15" oval muffler tucked between the rear bodywork and the crank pulley. I mounted the pipes and the muffler with the Bosal diesel exhaust mounts, adapted with right angle brackets and some clamps..Nothing is mounted to the chassis, everything mounts to the motor only. (though I do have a back-up hanger out on the end near the passeger side, rubber mounted very loose, just in case)

A helpful hint: Take care to not weld any stress into the system or induce it during the mounting. Some number of us inline-owners have incurred exhaust system cracking, others seem to have it all hold up just fine. It's been theorized that the exhaust cracking is caused by stress amplified by vibration...I think that is very possible...

The link below is to some quick shots I took while building mine, pics that weren't intended to be a 'how-to', but that might be of interest. You may notice the cross-engine brace shown is pretty 'cludgy' ..It was hack-done while on a road trip as temporary fix after I realized the original was not there. Also you will note there is no cat converter. Not required. Another minor mistake was to exit the exhaust straight out the passenger side without a down turn on the end of the pipe...This straight out configuration can be problematic when in close proximity to stuff. The exhaust should point to the pavement..

https://plus.google.com/photos/112899774170781374478/albums/5527276583316353665?authkey=CP7hiandmfaB-wE