Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 2014 10:19:09 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Quick fix exhaust job-Catalytic Converter
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

I ca assure you the van did not leave the factory with the Catalyst intentionally left empty. For markets that do not need the Cat they have a straight pipe. Also if intended for no cat there would also be no o2 sensor or worse it may have had a carburetor. The empty cat was the result of a failure. This was not an uncommon event. Even my father in laws Audi 5000 needed a cat at 42k. That Cat should have been replaced under the emissions warranty, (his was), unless you didn't have it maintained (O2 sensor test and replacement) or abused such as overfilled crankcase and/or worn oil.

All the Water-cooled Vanagons came to the US as a "50 state" version. Nothing unique for California.

As for your passing emissions keep in mind that all the state programs are designed to find the "gross" polluters. Idle or unloaded tests will usually pass as they can only measure HC, CO, and CO2. NOx is only created under load so that is why the IM240 (dyno) testing was required in many areas. That test will find the defective and missing cats.

Dennis

Your cat may well have come from the factory empty. When my '84 had the heads replaced at 45k by the dealer under warranty (yes, they replaced the heads to fix the dreaded leak!) the cat was empty, and this was a California spec car! Passed emissions just fine. The tech told me he had seen that before. If your rig was made for the Canadian market maybe that's why it's empty. Cats were very expensive in those days.

Stuart