Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:43:21 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing the Head Gaskets (Maybe the Head)?
Comments: To: Paul Smith <paulwithwesty@GMAIL.COM>

With that much coolant getting into the combustion chamber you need to look for something drastic. As this was sudden I would suspect a cracked head including the exhaust port. If the engine stops with that valve open the cylinder will get filled. As this was likely progressing for some time don't be too surprised if you find a damaged piston and scored cylinder wall. If this is a head gasket, (inner) the real failure is one or more studs. You're not going to know all until it is pulled a part. Assume some antifreeze in the oil so after the repair do a number of oil changes. Antifreeze in the crankcase in small quantities that cannot be seen can be devastating to bearings. Also consider the O2 sensor and catalyst to be damaged.

Dennis