Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:01:54 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: STRANDED
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Some of the van symptoms are probably not related to the main failure. I would focus on the issue at hand which is the fuel pump not cycling for a second or 2 when the key is turned on. That would be my main concern.

The 4-ways are probably still partially switched on and that is making the turn indicator be on and the flasher rely click. Try rocking the 4-way switch solidly back and forth on/off 5 or 6 times and see if that changes the indicator status. The internal switch contacts tends to get flaky from disuse. Hope it is that simple.

If you want step by step help in tracking down the running problem just ask. A volt meter will come in handy.

Mark

TJ Hemrick wrote: > Oh, I forgot, all the grounds are good, no fuel pump when I turn the key or > the idle solenoid either. > On Apr 1, 2014 4:51 PM, "TJ Hemrick" <x53gunner@gmail.com> wrote: > >> All, >> As if losing most of what we own from a house fire last Tuesday wasn't >> enough, now my transportation has come to a dead stop. 87 automatic, had >> some starting issues which (now) I see Kay have been some loose connections >> at the starter AND a broken wire (which was probably just a few strands of >> copper most of the past 2 weeks. Anyhow, I was idling, shifted to R AMD the >> engine went dead stop. No power to 4-ways or anything else. Lights on dash >> DO come on but so does the green turn indicator light and it's on steady if >> the key is turned. Very weird. Relay 21 on the panel cycles about every 10 >> seconds with the ignition off and not at all with the key turned. Any >> hidden fuses or fusible links I might be overlooking? All other fuses look >> good but I'll check again. Never been stuck this bad and no clues. >> >