Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:25:07 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New Windshield...sorta Friday

Recently I had my 84 van's windshield replaced, no charge, after switching insurance companies and getting a policy with almost free comprehensive coverage. I had a rock chip and a crack, nothing I couldn't live with (had been for a couple of years) But for part of the winter we hang near a small desert town where there's a resident CHP, a cop who had stopped me a year ago for something else, and gave me an "equipment violation warning" about my cracked windshield.. I told him a story (lied) that it had been cracked by a thrown rock during "my trip down here" and I'd get it fixed when I "got home"

Well this winter, there I was, cracked windshield still in the van. I was passing this fellow in his cruiser frequently, he sometimes waved, me too...small town with few poop-brown vanagons , bicycles on the back hatch.. Everyone knows everyone anyhow........I figured eventually we might end up stopped at The Stop sign (only one in town) at the same time and he'd look over and see that cracked windshield was still in there...That might cause a problem....Small town, not much for the cop to do, you don't want to give them any reason to be mad...so I went and got a new glass installed...

Huge difference! At night or sunrise or sunset when there's light coming at low angles, the new glass is so much better to see through...The crack and chip was not an issue but sometime in the past the Van musta been in some sandstorms and the old glass was pitted...I didn't realize how badly till I got the new window installed....Now that I am back in the rain, the new glass is also much better with the wipers going or with my squirter.......One trip across the glass and the view is clear...before?....smeared for a few passes of the wipers and at night? Forget it! Rainy night driving was pretty scary...

So if you want a good Vanagon feeling, a quick way to improve the quality of your time behind the wheel and to reduce the stress of difficult visible driving conditions... you may want to get a new windshield, your old one may be pitted and you don't realize it...