Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:47:06 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT & NVC & Pre-Friday: Palcohol?--now boxed wine discussion
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Or wine growlers.

<http://www.bendsource.com/Bent/archives/2014/04/25/wine-growlers-legal-again>

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 04/25/2014 01:09 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > Sounds like you have more choices than I do, not surprisingly since you > live nearer to wine country. > > I like the Franzia Merlot for 19.00/box better than anything else I can > find in bulk, which comes out to $4 a litre but it's good. Not so much > their or any other cab, which are shuffled off the shelves far younger than > a cab should be drunk/drinken/drank/consumed. > > Agreed that the "Black Box" and similar 3 litre are not worth the money. I > can say that so far I don't care for anything I've found in the smaller > boxex. As far as South America, that would be the ultimate--a big square > box of Malbec, which seems to go as well with tasks like engine assembly > and Westy kitchen removal and reinstall as a Pinot Noir does with an oil > change. THAT in my opinion would be a more useful product than Palcohol. > > Anyhow, as far as the bottles go, I don't like to carry glass when I camp. > That, and the fact that the REAL wine drinkers, the French, take their > collapsible jugs to the hypermarche for plain old drinkin' stuff. They get > it several gallons at a time for home consumptions. Bottles there are for > guests and special occasions, and, of course, a diesel injection pump > rebuild. Americans think that if it's good, it has to be in a bottle. Not > so! > > Best, > > Jim > > > On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>wrote: > >> Good idea. I've settled on the cheapest I can find, the Peter Vella line. >> $13.99/five liters (6 1/2 750ml bottles) around here, equivalent to >> $2.15/bottle. They are running a rebate now of $4 a box up to four boxes, >> or $1.50/bottle . Can't beat that. >> >> The reds (Burgundy & Merlot) are, as they say, "quaffable," which means >> they >> are light and uncomplicated. Their Chardonnay is also decent, but I prefer >> their reds. >> >> Next up is Trader Joe's "two buck Chuck," (Charles Shaw brand) which is >> actually $2.50/bottle here in Washington. I wish Joe would put it in a 5 >> liter box and sell it for $12, but part of their thing is to offer products >> with an "affordable cachet," and the bottle is part of that. But, they got >> their start in California offering a gallon jug of Chardonnay at an >> affordable price back in the late '60s. >> >> Their Shiraz is a nice wine, definitely a cut above Vella's reds. But with >> Chuck I prefer their Pinot Grigio, which is a very nice summer wine. The >> wine is made by Bronco Wines in California, which is run by Fred Franzia of >> the Franzia wine family. >> >> Joe is now offering some box wines from South America at the same price >> point as the Vella line. I am working my way through them. >> >> There are several brands of boxed 1.5 and 3 liter local varietals available >> here, but they tend to work out to $7 to $10 a bottle. Often I've found >> better under $10 bottled wines then those. >> >> Stuart >> Wine guzzler >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Jim Felder [mailto:jim.felder@gmail.com] >> >> You sound like me. Anyone up for a discussion on the best boxes wine? There >> certainly is bad and good out there. >> >> Jim >>> >>> I'll stick to my 5 liter boxes of wine. Quantity, not quality on my >> budget. >>> >>> Stuart >>> >>> >> >>