Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 2014 19:11:21 -0400
From:         Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: New Windshield...sorta Friday

Low cost part... $150 or so, not installed, figure about $100 labor to have it installed (with new seal).

The lack of aerodynamics results in more chipping etc.

Be sure to get tinted and shaded... with extra dark strip at top. I went with the new Euro seals, not too hard to install yourself with help from a friend.

If you find rust under the old seal, blast it, fill and use epoxy enamel primer.

I pulled all the glass out of my 84 Westy with the help of a friend, when I restored it a few years back. Rust has never returned, and Euro seals look great.

Jack R. 84 Westy

Good point.

I've been putting off a windshield replacement; my assumption is that there will be some rust under the seal. Would be a shame not to address that before new parts are installed.

Of note, a local glass shop I spoke with said that they sometimes re-use the old seal. (eg. with an old vehicle like a Vanagon). I'll be ordering a new seal ahead of time.

Neil.

On 4/25/14, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> So if you want a good Vanagon feeling, a quick way to improve the > quality of your time behind the wheel and to reduce the stress of > difficult visible driving conditions... you may want to get a new > windshield, your old one may be pitted and you don't realize it... >

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej