Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:39:58 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brakes-
Comments: To: Craig Cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

Several years ago, ATE moved much of their European manufacturing to Italy and much of that was subcontracted out to local manufacturing concerns, so an Italian made non ATE branded cylinder with the spring is very possible as Craig as noted. Don't know the brand myself, but it could be the same sub-contracter that makes them for ATE and boxes them in ATE boxes for their distribution as well as in their own brand name box.

Another very good example is the ATE themselves don't manufacture disc rotors or drums anymore in their own facilities. They're all made by an Italian firm known as OMC and distributed in both the familiar blue ATE boxes or in OMC's own branded boxes. Same boxes and some of the time similar prices. Quality is excellent, I have a pair of OMC boxed drums on my GL.

Now Brazil Varga (once owned by ATE - now TRW) do not come with springs and work fine on the 72-79 Bay Windows because the spring is not needed as the manual adjusters are on the side opposite the cylinder - no need for the spring. Originally sold as 211 611 047 D. Far eastern made cylinders are this way as well. The cylinder with the spring is sold as 211 611 047 F and as it has been noted, the spring is definitely needed for Vanagon applications because of the self adjusting make up on these models. The problem is that Varga, the far eastern manufacturers, the importer/distributor and end consumer vendors are marketing the 047 D as 047 F and therein lies the problem for the unknowing Vanagon owner when he or she unsuspectingly thinks they have found a great deal in buying them only to run into the problem described in this thread.

Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835 ***********************************