Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 1 May 2014 10:54:01 -0400
From:   T Collins <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Radiator fan switch wierdness

I have to ask the opinion of the list about this weirdness that I have been experiencing concerning my cooling system mainly the radiator fan switch.

I have always known that the weakest part of the performance of my vanagon has been its cooling system. I have been looking at things and as I check around I notice a particularly strange thing.

I have heard in several occasions my radiator fan running, but never when the vanagon is actually running/moving, only when its off. Now that is a problem because I have seen my temp needle climb very high past 3/4 of the way almost all the way to the top. Im able to keep the needle lower, by placing the van of the clutch and maintaining a higher rev, making the coolant move around. That is for the birds because I know something is wrong

I pulled the lower grill and with the ignition on I jumped the wires to the temp sensor that connect to the switch at the radiator. I can jump them in any combination and the radiator fan runs through the settings

Can a radiator fan switch work only when it wants to? I never hear it come on while the van is moving or when the needles is obviously telling me its hot. Why would it only come on sporadically when the van is parked after a drive? (and that is seldom that I hear it). I have made SURE that the wires are connected snug and correctly on the switch

The vanagon in question is a 1.9 ltr 85 tintop.

Should I be looking at more than the radiator fan switch?

Thanks, T.