Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 2014 14:43:09 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Troubleshooting Blinking LED
Comments: To: Mister Tom <TomsGroups@salicos.com>

>The coolant level control module (painted #43) applies a weak square >wave to one pin of the coolant level sender. If that pin is shunted >to ground or any constant level by less than about 180 kilohms it >will swamp the square wave; and a few seconds later the module will >trigger and apply about 35 ohms to ground to the gauge sender input, >simulating overheat. The original controllers did this >continuously; but the newer square ones only do it very briefly, >often enough to keep the blinker triggered but not enough to move >the gauge needle to speak of.

OOPS! That's completely backwards. If the square wave is allowed to run free then the module will trigger a few seconds later. As long as it's swamped by being shunted to a constant level (the ground pin of the sender, via the coolant) it will NOT trigger. D'oh! Also, the module may be painted 43 or 42. On the 2.1l vans it's mounted on the fuse/relay panel; the 1.9l have it on the cab wall forward of the fuse/relay panel, above the star grounds. Accessible with difficulty by dropping the fuse/relay panel. The old version (changed for '86 or some time in '85 I believe) is taller and will cause the gauge needle to enter the overheat zone as well as triggering the blinker. The new version (cube-shaped) avoids that and will swap directly in for the older one. There are two p/n for the newer version that behave the same, strictly an internal difference.

The old version automatically resets when the sender is once again shorted; the new version may continue until the ignition key is cycled. Probably an improvement in practice though it makes testing a bit more tedious.

Yrs, d