Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 May 2014 05:57:47 -0400
From:         Mike Holm Toronto <mike@BOSSSOLAR.COM>
Subject:      =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_Are_all_2.1_engines_digifant=3F?=
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Here ya go, Bentley download http://beakerbus.nl/files/manual/VW_T3_Syncro_Bentley_repairmanual.pdf Cheers, Mike -----Original Message----- From: "OlRivrRat" <OlRivrRat@comcast.net> Sent: Monday, May 5, 2014 00:25 To: mike@BOSSSOLAR.COM Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Are all 2.1 engines digifant? Could you please provide the link to where you DownLoaded the 1000+Page Bentley from ~ I have a PrintedBentley but would also like to have a DigtalBentley ~ ORR ~ DeanB On 4 May , 2014, at 3:16 PM, Mike Holm Toronto wrote: > > I just downloaded the 1000+ page Bentley shop manual so i will look it up, thanks. This is an involved process so it will have to be done when I have more time, perhaps tomorrow. The idle is roughly 1900 and doesn't move more than 5-600rpm when warm so I will try and see what happens. > > Thanks > Mike > > -----Original Message----- > From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@attglobal.net> > Sent: Sunday, May 4, 2014 14:16 > To: mike@BOSSSOLAR.COM > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Are all 2.1 engines digifant? > > > > At 01:51 PM 5/4/2014, Mike Holm Toronto wrote: >> Cool. I'm still working out the possible reasons for my idle sitting >> at 2000rpm. I cleaned the Idle valve (which has been unplugged and >> taped up by previous owner) to no avail. Another one is being posted >> as we speak but if the problem is in the module, it would be good to >> know and figure out how to fix it. The modules are a bit costly so i >> hope it is not that. > > --> The idle valve can only raise the idle, never lower it. > > You have to set the base idle down to the specified idle speed using > the big plug in the side of the throttle body. Engine should be > fully up to temp including oil; electrical consumers and radiator fan > not running, vapor canister purge line pinched off, oil breather hose > removed and plugged, idle valve unplugged, oxygen sensor > disconnected with ignition off to reset the ECU memory. The complete > setup and procedure begins on Bentley 24.50. If you haven't got > Bentley let me know and I'll photograph the pages for you. > > If the throttle body is worn (and of course if there are vacuum > leaks) you may not be able to set the idle down to spec using the > plug. The right answer is to replace the throttle body, but you can > get a bit more range out of the plug by soft-soldering a shim onto > the end of it. > > If the throttle cable (or rod on auto-trans) is too tight the > throttle plate may not be reaching the idle stop. > > If the throttle switch isn't closing at idle the idle will never > settle down below 1,000 rpm the way it's supposed to; but it will > only be slightly above 1,000 and a bit wavery**, not up by 2,000. > > **on my '89 with any of several different ECUs but the same idle > control module, anyway. > > Yrs, > David > >