Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 May 2014 08:52:58 -0600
From:         Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Joints

Yeah I'm pretty stupid, I get that. But I live in the Rocky Mountains where driving through water is not that unusual. In any case, this Vanagon has cast iron ballast in the back, and no spark plugs. What I am about to tell you may not apply to urban Vanagons.

Let me give you some Vanagon history. Volkswagen engineers originally thought like you do, but in real life it turned out to be a mistake. The first production Syncro had the usual Vanagon bellhousing that was not sealed against water. But it turned out that people would drive through water (duh), which got inside the bellhousing. Not normally a problem, unless that water was icy cold, in which case the temperature differential would cause sudden shrinkage and stiffening of the rubber seals. Aluminum being a good conductor of cold, the vacuum inside the transmission oil slinger would suck water and grit into the transmission through this stiff cold seal, causing a big mess in your gearbox.

Volkswagen responded with the Syncro bellhousing which was sealed to prevent water from getting in. But because the clutch still needed ventilation, they attached a special fitting to the timing peephole with a U shaped tube to slow down the entry of water into the bellhousing. Later Syncros even have two U hoses for a more positive air flow.

The moral of the story is that if your CV joints are hot and you drive through a snow melt river, you run the risk if getting water in your boots because of the sudden vacuum inside. Probably only on the side exposed to water pressure. Especially for high slung vans like mine whose CV boots have to flex a lot. Thus, I use the zip ties.

Every CV boot I have bought included a stainless steel ring clamp that needs crimping to tighten. I just find the zip tie to be more convenient.

-- Gnarlie

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Mike B <mbucchino@charter.net> wrote: > 1. A smart person would never drive though a rapidly-flowing river. That's > exactly how many people die every year. > > 2. A snug-fitting boot won't let water in or grease out. > > Mike B. > > > On 5/5/2014 9:29 AM, Gnarlodious wrote: >> >> I just use a zip tie. One time I drove through a rapidly flowing river and >> water got in a CV joint. When I took it apart it was ugly. Ever since then I >> have used the zip tie. >> >> -- Gnarlie >> >>>>> As for the clamp for the boot, the factory didn't use them after a >>>>> certain >>>>> time. New boot kits do not come with such a clamp that I know of. That >>>>> should tell you all you need right there. >>>>> >>>>> Jim > >