Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2014 11:17:31 -0600
From:         Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fire Wall

This is supposed to be a sound barrier for diesel engine compartments having sticky backing and a bonded 4 mil mylar exposed surface. It should handle the abusive environment above my transmission in addition to repelling dirt which the current stuff does the opposite of. The existing mats have a springy rod retaining system that I could reuse, but I've heard that compressing acoustic foam cancels the effect. I'll keep my eye on it through the summer to make sure gravity is not having its way.

I'm just aware that I may need to remove my transmission to do a proper installation of the sheets.

-- Gnarlie

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: > Looks like a good solution. You need weight to dampen noise, and spray foam > doesn't weigh anything. You might consider some sort of fastener if you can > figure out how. Anything facing down will tend to pull off sooner or later. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Gnarlodious > Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 9:18 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Fire Wall > > OK, I'm not sure why you're so horrified at the polyurethane foam but I'll > take you seriously. I figure I need 34x66 inches replace the sagging stuff, > so I ordered 2 sheets: > http://www.supremesupplycompany.com/sound.htm > Tufcote Noise Barrier/Absorber #104-E > Size 32x36 per sheet @ $89 per sheet + UPS Spoke with Ben > > Will give a report when I get it installed. > > -- Gnarlie > http://Gnarlodious.com/Vanagon > > > On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Michael <mbucchino@charter.net> wrote: >> Yes . NEVER use spray foam on any vehicle that you care about. >> >> Mike B. >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >>> On May 3, 2014, at 13:37, Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>> >>> I am getting ready to do that too, rip out all that dangling stuff and > put modern stuff it. Because there is ample space under there I am hoping to > put a thicker foamy insulating material, not necessarily spray-can stuff > because its wasteful and expensive. Spray-on polyurethane foam may be the > best solution, but I have only seen it applied with a wand from a running > machine on a truck. The spray-on stuff is more dense and durable than the > can-pressurized stuff, and normally applied to the ceiling of industrial > buildings. The job needs to be done while the transaxle is out for best > results, which means you order the truck go come and do it on location. >>> >>> Any thoughts? >>> >>> -- Gnarlie >>> http://Gnarlodious.com >>> >>> >>>> On May 3, 2014, at 10:57 AM, Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>>> >>>> And possibly reduce the amount of dust that falls into your face while >>>> wrenching under area above the transmission! ;) >>>> >>>> Dynamat et al would hold less dirt-dust? >>>> >>>> Neil. >>>> >>>>> On 5/3/14, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> .... Any of them better than that factory mess. Shop online and you >>>>> will find more reasonable prices. Done right you can also reduce >>>>> some of the rust causing moisture issues. >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Neil n >>>> >>>> Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca >>>> >>>> '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p >>>> >>>> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >>>> >>>> Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: >>>> >>>> http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >