Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 2014 17:42:27 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Intermittently Sticks In 4th Gear 3/4 Slider Hub?
Comments: To: Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@gmail.com>

Very helpful. My obvious hope is that slop or misalignment in shift linkage alignment is adversely affecting the selector shaft etc. (relay shaft as you suggest) in transmission. I can basically "see" what you mean.

It's a long story, but the spline end, clamp et al suffered some while adapting and installing the WBX linkage. Though I've put quite a few miles on it, this is where I'll look first.

The transmission was a "gift" in that I got it off a parts Vanagon but this issue is quite untimely. Especially since I assume Matt of AA Transaxle is quite busy with the Spring season.

Neil.

On 5/6/14, Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@gmail.com> wrote:

> This can happen when the lever is sloppy attached to your transmission. The > two areas to check is the lever where it is bolted onto the shaft that > slides in and out (relay shaft). This is held on with a 13mm nut that you > reach into the hole to tighten. If it is loose for a long time it ruins all > the spline parts by vibration. BAD! > > Also the socket can get loose where it is attached to the linkage rod with > a lousy roll pin. The third thing is if your socket is severely worn or the > plastic ball inside. > > In short, looseness can cause the socket to go past the point where it can > push on the ball at an effective angle, so you are stuck in gear. > > -- Gnarlie

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej