Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 2014 08:10:13 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: An idea for Replacing Pop Top Canvas
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>

Can I try an convince you to take the root off to do this job? It really is not hard to do ( but does need two people) and if you mark the hinge position you won't have any alignment problems when you re install.

I've done 6 canvas replacements now, the last one about a month ago. This particular one was a Just Kampers three window. Even with the roof upside down on a table is was a bit of a chore getting the canvas tight in the corners. I would be in tears if I had to do that on the van.

All the new canvases I have installed have been tight. I haven't installed a sunbrella canvas so I can't comment on that fitment. Even the good used canvases I have installed have been a little bit of a struggle in the upper corners.

If you take my advice and remove the top, use heavy cable ties to keep the lifting arms closed and attached to the van. Just use a knife to cut the old canvas. A section of PVC drain pipe laid across the van does help you roll the top back to the waiting helper behind the van.

Good luck with the install, whichever way you decide to do it.

Alistair