Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 2014 16:55:40 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 'Nother Head Gasket Question
Comments: To: thewestyman <zolo@foxinternet.net>

Thanks, I had heard the black sealant in the kits was OK to use, I know at one time it was crap. I don't recall hearing anything bad about the yellow sealant. I did buy a can of Right Stuff and was going to use it, but ended up using the stuff in the kit. Maybe on the head nuts I will use Right Stuff. Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > I don't use any of those in the pack, but use Right Stuff only, > cleaning > everything with Acetone very well before. Working fast to avoid the > Right > Stuff getting old in the process. > Zoltan > -----Original Message----- > From: J Stewart > Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 6:54 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: 'Nother Head Gasket Question > OK, pulled the right head again (Background: right side head gasket > finally > blew after 10 years of minor dripping. Replaced head gasket and > reinstalled > using original VW head, which I've since found out wasn't a good idea > since > they are prone to cracking. After replacing I drove the van approx 300 > miles > and no issues. Then on the way to Everybus it started leaking coolant. > Couldn't see where at first, but on the way home it became obvious, it > was > leaking around the front, top head nut, the one closest to the front > exhaust > port) On dis-assembly this time, I found little, if any, traces of the > yellow sealant I used on each head nut (the stuff that came in the > kit). > It's as though I hadn't used any at all. I had put a bead of it all > the way > around the base of each nut. Am I missing something? Thanks, Jeff > Jeff Stewart