Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 May 2014 17:59:31 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Friday, Favorite East Coast Camping and music event

Hi folks,

I wrote this to give to the Limbo Newsletter but thought I should post it here in case non Limbo people would be interested. Also the cheaper ticket prices end May 15.

VW Camping and the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival

The Falcon Ridge Folk Festival is a perfect place for a folk music lover to take full advantage of having a VW bus, van, or camper. I’ve attended the Three day concert three times in the past 20 years or so, once in my 76 Westfalia, once with a tent, and last year with my 85 Westfalia. In all cases the music was great. However, only with the VW did I really enjoy the full magic of the weekend. Now that I live nearby this will be an annual summer event for me.

So if you are a folk music fan and have a VW bus check out the event at falconridgefolk.com. If you only have a tent consider coming anyway but remember to bring the tent poles. Not having them is a drag, ask me how I know.

The event includes three days of camping and music and dancing with an unbelievable number of artists. It is held on a lovely farm in Hillsdale NY. The natural setting is perfect for music. Last year I parked at the top of a ridge looking down to the main stage. The sound carried perfectly so I could enjoy the music in the comfort of my van or walk right up to the stage. The only down side was that I saw only three other VW campers. During my first Concert, about 20 years ago, there must have been 30 busses of all years there.

I know this is not technically a VW event but it is an event that makes it great to have a VW! This year people can arrive to camp as early as Wednesday. The music starts Friday August 1 and continues until mid day Sunday August 3. The cost for camping and music is about $125 per person. Please consider coming as it would be great to see other VW folks there. Also, it would be nice to share some of the VW attention as the tent campers are clearly in awe of our comfortable set up.

The atmosphere is friendly, carefree, and joyful. Music is everywhere as there are even makeshift stages set up in the parking and camping areas. Amateur singers and the main acts continually show up in these areas for spontaneous appearances. There is even a tentative schedule on face book for the unofficial stages. I have heard some of my favorite artists at these campfires when they have shown up and accepted a guitar and played a song sitting on a log just a few feet from me.

I hope to see you and your VW there this summer! If you know of other music events with camping in the North East, please share the details.

Eric Caron, living in Southern VT, and traveling in an 85 auto Westfalia