Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 May 2014 15:05:17 -0500
From:         Jarrett Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      (Mis)adventures in Wheel Bearings

I thought I'd be a good boy this weekend and replace my wheel bearings. That's when the trouble started.

Got the front rotors off to discover that they're way more worn than I thought, so I'll have to order some new ones. No big deal, but it does mean a delay.

Since things were on hold up front, and since the van was jacked up anyway, I decided to try tackling the rear bearings as well. Got the left rear off and replaced without too much difficulty, thanks to Alistair's well documented foray into the same arena. See here: http://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/vanagon-rear-wheel-bearing-replacement/ I actually pressed the axle back into the case on the workbench rather than using the rear brake drum as he describes, as mine didn't just want to slide back on.

Anyway, I get to the other side and remove the bearing case, with stub axle intact. But then the axle won't come out. I tried a few taps with a hammer, but still nothing. Okay, back to the press, as Bentley recommends. Finally start getting some separation, Yay! Okay, continue, go slowly, slowly... and POP! the tab which holds the brake slave cylinder snaps off. To make matters worse, I finally get the axle out, only to discover that I'd somehow bent the threads when I used a hammer on it. You should never do that.

Now I have to locate a new bearing case and stub axle. Looks like Van-Cafe might have some used ones.

Sigh.Some days are so frustrating.

-Jarrett 89 Bostig'd Westy