Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 May 2014 08:32:14 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Off topic Friday question on switches...

I should have sent this to the whole list rather than just Dennis. Thanks everyone, now back to Vanagon content.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> Date: Sat, May 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM Subject: Re: Off topic Friday question on switches... To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

One question I would ask is "why does that switch keep breaking"?

The switch has broken in the same way a couple of times. It's a poor design, plain and simple. There is a cheezy little plastic post that connects with the button and it spaces a metal plate on a spring to make the actual contact This post breaks. It is too small to repair, though I did get one of them fixed with epoxy for a little while...This plastic post must pass through a hole and it connects direct to the "Start" button, and around part of this post inside the switch there is a spring....also surrounding the post...That spring has a close tolerance, precluding actually being able to reinforce the thing with epoxy or something...

I can make the machine turn on using a stick and poking at the broken parts....another stick can turn it off, if I am really careful and make contact with just the right little tabs inside the mechanism....In order to do all that, the whole switch box cover must be removed, allowing all the chips and shavings to get into the mechanism...plus moisture and possibly fingers or tools........not to mention that I just don't like exposed hot 220 wires or terminals in my workshop...

I've tried figuring out some better way to activate what remains of the existing switch...but I conclude the only practical answer is to get rid of the weak design. I refuse to keep tossing away $60 every few months...

So thanks, All...Friday is done and gone and I have my answers..