Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2014 12:40:40 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Moving forward - with an autotranny.....
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

When I started this re-furbish project on the Carat - I picked up a run-out auto-tranny and figured to work through it and do some learning. Then things changed and the practicality of that was lost. So - next best thing was to whip it over to the local VW shop where a REAL VW Guru lives and have him rebuild it.

Will definitely look into the oil cooler issue. Thanks for the "heads up"

John

On 5/22/2014 12:31 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > The Go Westy cooler has a thermostat, and is the only one I'm aware of that does. Ten Cent Life's engine oil cooler also has one, and it could certainly be converted for use on the tranny. > > The biggest trick in rebuilding an automatic is keeping all the springs, balls, valves, etc. sorted and put back into the right position in the valve body. The Bentley shows a VW tool (a tray) that keeps things sorted during cleaning. Without that you need to be super careful. You could come up with something similar to this for less money: http://www.etoolcart.com/smallmetalpartstrayt-0170-m.aspx > > I would also use this opportunity to drain the torque converter and switch to a synthetic ATF. The differential section already requires a top quality synthetic lubricant. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Michael [mailto:mbucchino@charter.net] > Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:34 AM > To: Stuart MacMillan > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Moving forward - with an autotranny..... > > I will be rebuilding my '87 auto Trans soon due to chronic leaks. I have 2 spares of I need a new part or even a whole section. I bought a hard copy manual, downloaded another software factory rebuild manual in addition to my Bentley book. I will be replacing my Trans cooler with a bell housing-mounted 402 cooler, also. One thing to note about that is that not only does the Trans fluid give off it's heat into the cooling system when it's hot, but the cooling system gives it's warmth into the Trans fluid when it's cold. You will lose this benefit when you make this mod. > I'm hoping to make up an extra mounting bracket or two, along with steel-braided oil hoses with crimped banjo ends and banjo bolts and copper sealing washers in a kit for people that want to do the same mod to their auto Trans. The bell housing top mount keeps the cooler away from rock damage and uses the torque converter fins to provide a constant airflow through the cooler, even when stopped. > > Mike B. > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On May 22, 2014, at 11:28, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >> You might consider replacing the leak prone cooler with an aftermarket one. >> Kennedy has a kit & instructions for installing a cheap one you can >> get at any auto parts store, and Go Westy as well as Van Café have >> more sophisticated units, but at much higher cost. >> >> Stuart >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of JRodgers >> Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:47 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Moving forward - with an autotranny..... >> >> Finally got my 1991 Carat into the shop for tranny overhaul work. It's >> an automatic tranny and this is my first experience with the one in >> Vanagons. >> >> Just wondering if there are concerns and/or paranoia's I should have, >> points to make to the mechanic, just things I should know to take care >> of, and take care of it, things to do in preparation for the future of >> the tranny, upgrades and general operation. >> >> John >