Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 2014 19:01:31 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WBX Recommendations Sought
Comments: To: John Schwartz <pa38112@ROADRUNNER.COM>

There are some serious "while you are at its" here! He'll be into it $5000 or more, and I would not do the Go Westy 2.2 kit without doing the bottom end too.

That's why I'm nursing my stock 1.9 for a while longer, and he may be able to use that old engine too. I'd rather put the $5000+ into a Subaru conversion.

Stuart

My van was a similar situation that is sat for many years..... once I got her running there were a few coolant and oil leak that I wanted to tend to.... She had about 95000 on the clock..

Once apart we went ahead and did a rebuild similar to what you're looking at... I only did this in place of a new engine because I know I'll be swapping it out for a Subi in another year or so.... and have some serious road trips planned for this summer...

With that:

I would recommend going with the Rocky Jennings or GoWesty configured AMC heads.... You spending about $100 more, but they will have the upgraded valves and machined ports etc.....

Your cylinder barrels should be OK, but sitting there may have been some rust and pitting which could cause some burring oil from oil blow by.... check them.... may be able to get by with honing them. if you do go with new barrels etc.. may as well go for the gusto and get the 2.2 kit from Go-Westy.....

H2O Pump.... absolutely... and while you're at it change out the plastic coolant system fittings that come off the engine.... what the hell was Dieter thinking about when they installed theses at the factory.... and while the system is down may as well change ALL the hoses.... Van Café has a kit alredy to go... A little pricy, but in the end it is cheaper than having to go to five different places.... Also flush the system and replace it with G12.... I know I'll hear some push back on this...

Your oil pump should be OK..... but considering it is a $50 part and four bolts, may as well go for it.... Also, you may consider installing an oil pressure and temp senders/switches...

Also, no mention of your fuel lines.... it goes with our saying.... and your pressure regulator may need to be swapped out too....

All in all, my engine feels pretty tight, has good torque, hums like a sewing machine, and I wouldn't think twice about a 3K mile run in her tomorrow... I may postpone the Subi for another year.... but I am still collecting parts!!!!

Good luck