Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 2014 14:28:44 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Pump Etc. Sealant. Factory?
Comments: To: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>

in all cases of sealing cooling system o-rings .. if they are assembled like they are .. in time they will shrink and leak ...Honda's do it, VW's do it etc.

I recommend a high quality black silicone sealant such as The Right Stuff ( the ONLY sealant I ever use anymore, for oil pans, cooling system parts, etc ) or Toyota's very good black silicone.

these sealants are so good you don't even need a gasket or o-ring there at all .. when used with an o-ring ..it's never going to leak there , period. Comes apart very easily too, years later.

which is why ALL screws , esp. cooling system screws, should be installed with something on them.. I find Permatex High Tack gasket goop to be hyper perfect . prevents corrosion, sticks 'em in there ... ( anti-vibration ) .. like it's a mortal sin to put a screw into a housing or block dry.

it's all about the workmanship. Scott On 5/28/2014 11:14 PM, Frank Condelli wrote: > O-rings do not normally need sealant if the mating surfaces are in good condition. HOWEVER, I always smear a very light coat of RTV sealant on that O-ring when installing it just to keep it from falling out of place while I’m trying to get the pipe in position to insert the bolts. > > > On May 28, 2014, at 7:58 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote: > >> Hey people. >> >> I doubt this is the case, but did VW add sealant along with the rubber >> (neoprene?) seal at the coolant pump and big metal pipe where it seals >> to the pump? > > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) > Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 05 ~ 08, 2014 >