Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jun 2014 16:38:56 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need Charcoal Canister
Comments: To: Richard Duvernay <richard.duvernay@sbcglobal.net>

You're welcome Richard.

Ya I have to look at my Bentley to confirm these kinds of things but if I recall, certain parts of the gas fumes (hydrocarbons?) get absorbed by the charcoal. So, purge valve closed, charcoal absorbs. Valve opens, engine pulls vapours out of EVAP system and burns them during combustion. The vent at bottom either vents to atmosphere or connects to the air cleaner. I believe Bentley shows these 2 different configurations. I think this vents purpose is to allow air to be drawn in when engine running and if engine off, safely allows vapours out of the EVAP system. I could be wrong on the former. The internet should tell all on this.

The charcoal can only absorb so much. It does get saturated. I've read of some opening the canister and cleaning or replacing charcoal with stuff used in fish tank pumps. Personally, I'd just source a new canister.

Neil.

On 6/3/14, Richard Duvernay <richard.duvernay@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Thanks Neil. I have it connected to the engine and disconnected at the > bottom > of the canister, so I'll try your suggestion with a helper. The problem came > and > went away six months ago. At that time, I removed the canister and as I > recall > I shook it and I could blow through it. Maybe the valve is the culprit. I > missed > finding that available at Van Cafe's site. I will report back if I get it > solved. > Thanks again. - Rick > > > -------------------------------------------- > On Tue, 6/3/14, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > Subject: Re: Need Charcoal Canister > To: "Richard Duvernay" <richard.duvernay@sbcglobal.net> > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2014, 3:51 PM > > I noticed that the charcoal canister > I removed from a '94 Jetta and > the one on my 1981 Vanagon were similar. (I swapped a Jetta > engine > into my '81 Vanagon) > > Can you blow air through the canister? My Bentley manual > isn't handy > right now but I believe the bottom port is a vent. > Regardless, I'm > pretty sure one should be able to blow air through the top > inlet and > outlet. > > With the canister purge valve disconnected, I'm about > certain you > shouldn't be able to suck air through it. If it were me, I'd > connect > it to the engine only, run engine, raise idle, then feel and > listen if > air is being drawn through the valve. > > van-cafe has the valve it seems: > > http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_734/fuel-evaporative-parts-c734 > > maybe Busdepot.com has the charcoal canister? > > >

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej