Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:46:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT Fri. more on my Poor Man's Syncro (Astro/Safari) a sort of
              review..long
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Don: have you found an OBD2 reader for your new rig?

No I don't have one of those yet. I stopped at the nearby GM Dealership to see how much they'd charge me to just read the codes on my rig.... $108 bucks! GM dealers have nothing on VW dealers, I guess.... As I assumed from my last experience with a vehicle with OBD , this one already had "Service Engine Soon" pop up and stay lit on the dash....so I wanted to see what the ____?....If it is like my last one ( Porsche 928) that 'code" was a false alarm or a faulty sensor of some kind. Anyway, I re-set and it has not returned....as usual...and I am not going down the road again of trying to find out why each and every OBD popped up....I wasted, and I mean really wasted, whole days on my last one of these OBD vehicles chasing down indicated faults only to have them almost always be "Wolf! Wolf! just kidding you sucker" false alarms... I hear you can stop at a Shucks/OReillys/whatever auto parts chain store and they'll read your faults for free....I will probably have to get one of those readers though...anyone have a favorite place to buy them at reasonable cost?

I can actually reach across my Vanagon to lower the manual window on the passenger side when I am driving....have to loosen the seat belt, but it works....and once it's down it stays down without any warning tones or fancy button work until I personally and intentionally roll it back up....I can leave all my Vanagon doors wide open and not be nagged when I stick the key in....if I have a low battery or have to wait outside someone's house in the winter with the motor on...I can choose to do it in the dark, too.... The Safari you can not even open the rear doors, the Dutch Doors, without either pushing a button on the dash or one on the key fob or inserting the key and turning it....

My "new rig"....I like that, Neil.......I am a true 99%er I guess, when my new rig is only 17 years old rather than 30 years old like my Vanagon....I recall back in the 80s I once actually bought myself an honest to gosh brand new work truck (Datsun king cab) on just my wages...Those days seem long gone....wish I still had that Datsun but it was smooshed by a runaway road compactor while parked at a mountainside construction site......