Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jun 2014 07:33:15 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      I rather drive the Vanagon

I posted a Friday bit on my new to me GM Safari AWD van...then, after working on it most of the day, doing my post-purchase fluid changes and checks....I got in my Vanagon (84 tin top faux-westie with ABA inline and 5 sp)...all my toys were still loaded in there, ready to use, just like in my 'grand plan'. One of my main goals (shh! don't tell my S.O.) was to remain "Rec-Ready" at all times... that was why I bought the second worker van...and I drove 25mi to one of my favorite bicycle routes for a quick spin. After the Safari, driving the Vanagon was really fun! It felt quite nimble and it sounded marvelous! I have a non-cat custom exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. It's not loud but it sounds like a real motor...and I do like shifting for myself. Plus, I found it easily in the parking lot of Fred Meyers, unlike that generic Safari in 'boring mini soccer-mom white.... Don't get me wrong, that Safari isn't a bad ride...it just isn't as fun as my Vanagon... I will say, I have had the Vanagon now for 3-4yrs and I've got it 'dialed-in' pretty well, it wasn't always so pleasurable to drive.. Also, the 2wd Vanagon is ~1000lbs lighter then the Safari AWD, so there is that. I bet the Safari would be the better ride during a long day on the highway or bashing through the back country in Baja... I 'noticed' how much pleasure I got, just driving my Vanagon 50 miles around the Columbia River Gorge. I rinsed off in my sink after the bike ride and changed clothes inside, got a cold drink out of the fridge and went on home...a happy guy..