Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:50:10 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Poor Man's Syncro...Friday OT..Safari AWD (a bit long)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

plus.. you have a vehicle designed with aerodynamics in mind.. such as flush windows.

flush windows start in cars around the late 80's.. VW didn't have that feature ( and aero outside view mirrors ) until the 92/93 Eurvoan.

and you probably have some form of ABS brakes.. all stuff you don't get in a Vanagon, 2WD or Syncro ...for 5 times the price.

I 'can understand' .. Chevy/GM kinda makes me sick sometimes re quality .. but they do deliver a lot of content and value for the price, even new.

I've seen vans like this one of Don's in 2WD, running decently, for 800 bucks. what's not to like ! ?

On 6/1/2014 2:38 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > My 'cheaper' comment is about the actual real cost difference, not > perceived the quality. > > I have not seen many AWD syncro Westies for under $20k recently, and many > of them are selling for double and triple that...Regular 2wds are also way > more than double or triple what these GM vans seem to be selling for, so > far. (they seem to be worth lots more in Europe) > > You are correct that the GM vans cost less...dunno about cheaper, > quality-wise...I'd certainly match the Vortec v-6 motor against any wbx > motor for durability and power..the Safari I got (97) still has the > syncro-style full time viscous coupling drive line, but the later ones are > computer controlled, said to be a big improvement...and of course the parts > are cheap and plentiful for these 'less elete' GM vans...I should have said > it that way..."Blue Collar campervans" maybe. > > > On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM, James <jk_eaton@hotmail.com> wrote: > While I prefer the Westfalia version, "Cheap VW imitations" is unfair when > it comes to Astro Condo camper van conversions - had a chance to go through > several of these on our travels last summer, and the Quebec company doing > the conversions has achieved a very Teutonic level of planning, quality, > and execution in their camper conversions. The van underneath is cheaper - > certainly it rides rougher - but then it tows 5000 pounds! > > James >