Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:25:08 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vehicle insulation for sound and temperature
Comments: To: Geneva Saint-Amour <genevasaintamour@HOTMAIL.COM>

Here's the link: Picasa Web Albums - Stephen - Soundproofing I probably used more of this stuff than I needed to.  I've since learned that you only need to apply to the center portion of a given panel to provide all the damping necessary.  I put the damn stuff everywhere and it would have gone further had I done differently. I also recommend that you use metal foil tape (real "duct" tape) to cover the joints when you install this stuff.  The black adhesive gets tarry in warm weather and you want to protect anything from coming in contact with that icky stuff; upholstery, bedding, clothing, pets, etc. Stephen Picasa Web Albums - Stephen - Soundproofing Photos by Stephen, Feb 4, 2007 View on picasaweb.google.com Preview by Yahoo   On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:42 AM, Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com> wrote: Shortly after buying our '87 Westy on '06 I pulled everything behind the front seats to inspect for rust.  Found none and decided while there to soundproof.  I purchased B-Quiet from a company in Lethbridge AB Canada, eventually three of the 50' x 12" rolls of their product, a foil-backed asphalt type stuff about 3mm thick. After running out of that I did the front doors and used stuff you'll no doubt be warned against, a peel & stick roofing material from the local home improvement store that looks identical and costs about half per square foot what the BQ did.  Despite dire warnings about offgassing and the like I could detect no difference in performance and effect between the two products and you can have a vanload of the P&S stuff in an hour rather than awaiting shipment from the Far North.   I'll dig up a link to pix and post that also.  I also used normal wall insulation that seems to help quell the noise, but it's actually hard to tell when underway in a Westy since I'm sure the open hole for the poptop, the roof itself and the luggage rack all contribute to the noise level.  All that work might have greater benefit in a hardtop, but you sure can tell the difference when shutting the front doors, slider or hatch.  They now give a solid thump on closing rather than the customary clang.   There are numerous Samba threads on this topic and I think someone even instrumented the noise levels before and after, but I forget the result.  Whatever, it's a bonding experience to crawl around in your van trying to improve it and it's like chicken soup; doesn't hurt and it might help.  Good luck! Stephen On Monday, June 9, 2014 7:51 PM, Geneva Saint-Amour <genevasaintamour@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: Last weekend we removed the cabinets, bed, water tank, et al.  While were are there, I would like to install some stuff to reduce engine heat, road noise, etc.  What do you suggest? And a vendor of available. Thanks, Geneva and Mike 1985 Vanagon Westfalia/AdventureWagen Bostig