Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:03:37 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tire needs resolved, I guess
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:48 AM, <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: Guess I am too old fashioned for my own good (maybe). For tires (and most other items where I can make that choice), two things are pretty important to me: (1) a known commodity -- which is one reason I chose Hankook over Nexen, and (2) a place where I can walk into the shop, deal face to face, and have someone to go back to in case of a problem, rather than an online seller. I know, I know. But being "modern" is not always all its cracked up to be, at least for me.

mcneely

Mostly I agree...One valid way to decide amongst lots of products or to select a modification or to improve on anything...Look and check around at what others are using, doing or have done and copy that..Trying something completely new, totally off the wall often results in a less than satisfactory outcome.

Dealing face to face, buying local, patronizing your local business....I almost always try that first, too. I'll give my local merchants my business when they are 'ball-park' close . However, the Squeeze is on for US Workers...I don't have much spendable income anymore, despite working just as hard as I always have, so sometimes I have to go "Cheap" or not at all. When I bought my cheap-o GoForm tires, to get me home from the desert this spring, I first went to the only tire shop in town and THEY were the ones who suggested I try Tireseasy.com, They offered to take delivery and I had them do the mounting and balancing.

Also, just because someone does business near you it doesn't mean they are automatically 'better' than everyone else, that they "deserve" your business. There are plenty of "local" businesses that are living in a dream world, behaving arrogantly towards customers and charging very over the top prices...thinking along the lines of "Hey, we're the only game in town and that will always keep us in business"...