Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:10:52 -0600
From:         Geneva Saint-Amour <genevasaintamour@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Westfalia high top dimensions?
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@nbnet.nb.ca>

We drive a Westfalia Vanagon which had the pop top removed and an AdventureWagen high top installed. This means we have the tan, Westfalia cabinetry inside with the sealed wood AW features above. We have measured the ground to top clearance of this vehicle (and wrote it inside) and found it to be 8 feet tall. That was before we added new GoWesty springs and Koni shocks. We will check it again this weekend.We did lose mileage with the trade. And it is much more of a "sail boat" on the highway, subject to winds tossing us around. But the freedom of being able to guerrilla camp and stand up at all times is well worth the trade. However, I would caution you that the upper bunk does not offer much space for sleeping. It has been done buy our 20 year old, but he complained of his knees bumping and the top feeling close to his face.You are welcome to email me if you want to ask any further questions about the set up or the conversion. It was a big project, but well worth it. You can see photos on our blog at www.slowcarfasthouse.com or our Facebook page It's not a slow car, it's a fast house Geneva and Mike Saint-AmourPrescott (for now) > Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:14:00 -0300 > From: RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA > Subject: Vanagon Westfalia high top dimensions? > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Good morning Vanagonauts: > > Could someone point me in the correct direction for the dimensions of a Westfalia High-top Vanagon? > > I am on the hunt for a Vanagon Westfalia to take-over the "family adventure vehicle" role from my '66 Westy. In the past month, I have looked at a dozen Vanagon Westfalias - mostly stock WBX, but a few TD/TDi conversions and one Subaru. The only problem to-date has been sticker shock. :-0 > > In the past week I have come across three 1988 Westfalia high-top Vanagons for sale. All three have 1.6L TDi engines w/ manual transmissions (2 4-spd, 1 5-spd). All three, quite possible originated from the same VW dealer in Québec back in 1988. > > The interior of the high-top is intriguing, though I expect their handling and fuel economy will suffer (but the diesel should give me ~10mpg better than the WBX). > > My most immediate concern is whether I could get one in the garage {my guess is no}. I have searched the Samba and Vanagon facts for vehicle height dimensions with the high-top, but have come up empty handed. > > Certainly one of you has a high-top and could just scoot out into the drive with a tape measure? > > Roy