Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:14:32 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Diesel $$ RE: 88 GL - Failure to Start - but now it does!!
              Hip Hip Huzzah!!
Comments: To: KIM BRENNAN <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

Kim:

You could probably get away with kerosene and peanut oil or vegetable oil, but you will do yourself a world of hurt if you were to run gasoline - or gasoline diluted diesel of less than 85-90% diesel - through your engine ... particularly if that engine has any form of electronic control {as opposed to mechanical}.

The combustion characteristics of gasoline (and alcohol) are significantly different than diesel. In a modern diesel engine, you would probably first kill all the sensors of the control systems, but even in an old mechanical injection engine, you would experience detonation at the wrong times and the engine would take a lot of abuse ... until it quit.