Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2014 23:48:16 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: new standard trans popping out of 1st
Comments: To: Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>

Popping out of first or second can be a sign of a bad pinion bearing. Popping out of third or fourth could be a bad main shaft bearing or worn/damaged gear carrier housing. If a bad pinion bearing continued operation will destroy the ring and pinion set if not already damaged. This will add significantly to the cost of repairs or make your trans unusable for a core.

Dennis

Dennis, et al.

OK, so it’s mostly improved. Once I discovered that the lever w/the plastic balls that bolts to the input shaft was loose. Tightened that.. (maybe the nut loosened in my tests, maybe the nut didn’t tighten it at all (me)) And doesn’t bang out (makes gears noise) of 1st.. It does still pop out on an occasion while decelerating down at a sign into 1st. But w/o making any significant gear grinding noise it just eases out, and I can ease it back in and it’s OK under load. But I haven’t had time to drive it more than 5mi with time obligations.

Tonight and tomorrow will be able to put more miles into it. It’s going VW group camping in Alexandria bay (Grass point S.P) this weekend, so many more by Monday.

Thanks everyone for the help and offer advice.

Dan in Syracuse, NY Empire State VW camping club www.empirevwcamping.org<http://www.empirevwcamping.org>.

From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:14 PM To: Daniel O Stevens; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: new standard trans popping out of 1st

You got a bad trans and the only fix is to hold in first. The detent that holds it in gear is in the trans itself. Popping out is sign of bad bearings or a worn housing.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: Daniel O Stevens<mailto:dosteven@SYR.EDU> Sent: ‎6/‎16/‎2014 2:44 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: new standard trans popping out of 1st Years ago my father bought a rebuilt aircooled Vanagon trans from a fella who's project lost steam. So not from the rebuilder itself, but at a good discount.

Forward to now and we put it into my van and while adjusting the linkage What a pain that is.. While I can get it nicely into all gears (after a buncha tiral/error and cursing) But no matter how I adjust the linkage at the pinch bolt coupler in the middle I can't get 1st to stop popping out.. It's frustrating laying under the van working with the linkage pinch bolt where it takes micro-mm adjustments to make from little to too much difference.

I feel I need to lengthen the overall shifter length to keep 1st from popping out. But I can't move the balls/arm on the trans any more (rearward) when in 1st by the shifter.. So since it's all the way pushing back, maybe I need to shorten the arm to not engage 1st to the limit? That seems counter intuitive.

Also I heard of at least one other incidence as mine where the poster was recommended from 2 trans shops that 1st gear would seat in after some time. And in fact did for this poster in about 2weeks..

Anyone have any tips or btdt tricks to getting the 1980-83 aircooled (diesel) linkage set up and happy?

I do (did) have new bushings in the shifter linkage in the past 3yrs. And the old transmission wasn't bad just getting tired from a lot of heavy use.

Thanks

Dan in Syracuse