Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:53:12 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AA Transaxle: Happy! Relavant Info, Long.

Hey folks.

First off: a big "thanks" to Matt and Erica at AA Transaxle. They provided assistance with relevant details and got a rebuilt to me in a timely fashion. I have every confidence that this unit will provide many miles of use. Kudos to you both for continuing to support the VW community!

I wasn't up to the task (health issues) of swapping transaxles and since the old transaxle stuck in 4th again while in US, I had Tec Shop in Seattle do the R&R. Tec charged what appeared to be a flat rate, which seemed high, but then I don't often use a mechanic so my opinion isn't that valid. That said, as promised, they checked over other things while "in there", did other work as time and details permitted, and AFAIK Eion (one of the owners) did the work; IMO, it seems they are very Vanagon knowledgable folks. Image of shop (my brown Bus shown with hatch up): http://tinyurl.com/po2muhq Eion spent time listening to my input, the job was done on time. FWIW, staying overnight at Dash Point State Park situated me close enough to Tec (Haller Lake area) that I made the trip in about 45 minutes.

I'd posted earlier regarding shift pattern difference and some difficulty shifting. Based upon an email from Matt, and my own knowledge, since the rebuilt transaxle is "tighter" (correctly so), and drivetrain may have gotten slight repositioned during R&R process, this likely affected the shift pattern. Specifically 1 - 2 shift which also affected 3 - 2 shifting. While in camp at Manchester State Park, I made *small* adjustments (like 2 mm max movement) to the shift lever base. This really helped align the 1 - 2 shift pattern but the shifter still doesn't feel as good (normal) as the one in my lower mile 1988 Westy. Based upon an observation made by Tec Shop, and pedal feel, it may be that my clutch slave is starting to fail. This, and possible required adjustment to shift linkage, may be the causes of poor shift feel.

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej