Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jun 2014 11:37:07 -0800
From:         Kevin White <kevbob53@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I rather drive the Vanagon (snow tires)
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Having participated in the part of this discussion that concentrated purely on traction (spinning or not spinning, Peloquin, or not, etc.), I'll throw in .02.

Having lived all my life in the Northwest and Alaska, the ability to STOP when you want and need is pretty darn important, I think. in a winter climate.

My wifes' Passat wears good studs, period. She drives faster than I do, and they have saved her in some situations that I wish she would remember more clearly than she seems to. My 4wd Tacoma wears all weathers, but I drive very, very, very defensively. The only time I have ever slid off a road in 38 years of winter driving, studs would have prevented, so maybe I need to rethink for that Tacoma.

Ruby, our 84 Westy, got Nokian WRG 2's (a winter rated all season) for last winters travels. They were great for winter situations that I could defensively control (i.e., not having to jump on urban freeways at rush hour in a snowstorm).

We are staying in Alaska this winter, and I am watching Craigslist for studded tires for the van. I have the option of not driving it, and probably won't, much, so i'm not prioritizing this at the moment.

I know the Spokane area very well, and personally would spring for serious studs, front and rear, for late October through March. If I had to rely on my van here in Juneau, same thing. While visiting friends there last month, the local drivers struck me as being in training for a move to Seattle.

If it sounds like I'm completely paranoid about "the other guy", well, yes.

Hope you enjoy the Spokane area. Great location to launch a lot of Westy adventures!

Cheers Kevin