Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 2014 07:29:04 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Syndrome is it also known as Digifant Disease, maybe?
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

My communications skills seem to be as weak as my digital/electronic diagnostic skills...

These two episodes occurred, both, at the end of a sustained highway run...the first following a short pause to open a gate and then getting back on the throttle to climb our driveway in my second gear...this driveway climb normally takes maybe 1/3 throttle and I go up this rather steep pitch at about 3500 rpms and maybe 10-15 mph.

The second instance happened after a 60mph run of 50 miles, then a right turn 90-degree turn off onto a smaller access road, followed by what is normally an acceleration back up to 4th or 5th gear. .some drivers reach full speed along this two lane paved section, I normally just go back to about 40mph or so along this 1/4 mile access road.

Both times as I resumed speed, that was when I encountered bucking and stumbling...both times, upon nursing my vehicle along to it's destination, short distances only, I shut off the motor. After a bit...first time it was overnight, second time perhaps 15 minutes, the motor started right up normally and ran just fine...after the first episode and my superficial diagnostic wire-wiggling and contact cleaning, I did the second trip of 50 miles and had the second episode of stumbling. I drove another 50 miles after the second episode without any further misbehavior from the engine. That is where I am now.. Time to fix this...

So I could say these problems occurred during sustained highway driving, yes, in that the motor was never shut off. I just took my foot off the gas to turn the one time and stopped to open the gate the other time. During both these trips I did have terrain that called for sustained 'no throttle' running, substantial downhill sections..One of these, I often coast with the van in neutral as it is a couple of miles long, downwind and just the right pitch to allow the van to remain at about 65mph without any help from the motor...but this road is up and down, climbing and dropping a bit...not flat. I negotiate the whole thing at about 60 in 5th gear except coming west when I climb that one section (the one I can coast down at 65) ..There are some frequent sections where full throttle is called for to maintain my cruising speeds...