Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:38:31 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 GL - Failure to Start - It's Back!!!!!!!!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hmmm. Dennis, my lights have ALWAYS gone out when cranking and come back on after start. Never thought anything of it. I always thought that was some way to take the load off the battery when starting. Over the years, I have replaced the switch twice, but never had ANY starting problems except once when the starter ran away.

John

On 6/14/2014 11:03 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > It could also be flooding. Recently I had a customer come in with similar > symptoms and it turned out to be the ignition switch. Key on, dash warning > lights on, as key turned to start the lights would go out and stay out even > while cranking. Turn real hard and they would sometimes come on and the > engine would then start. Amazing that when cold the switch would work > normally. New switch all better. > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > JRodgers > Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:37 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: 88 GL - Failure to Start - It's Back!!!!!!!! > > I have a Gremlin living in my van! I just know it!! > > After all the trouble over the last few weeks with the failure to start bit > - I though the issue resolved when I swapped in another coil. Not so! It > started perfectly every time for 9 days straight. But today it will not > start. > > It acts a bit like fuel starvation. Turn the key to aux - wait until the > door/key tone ends, turn to start. At this point - it will either sit there > and grind, grind, grind -OR - it fire up with a big varrooom then run just a > few seconds, then quit - as if starved of fuel. Kinda like when you might > give it a shot of starting ether - it catches, runs a few seconds until the > ether is burned up - then it quits. > > I did a fuel pressure test and it was good - in the 30's psi range. I also > did a start test with the gauge connected - there was no change. I did to a > coil/computer control check, just in case. and got a good coil spark and I > could hear the injectors pulse. I did not, however - pull the injectors to > actually observe their spraying. That is for tomorrow in good light, unless > someone has some good ideas. > > I will be putting in a new Temp II sensor tomorrow. The Digifant Service > Manual says that for any no start situation - the Temp II sensor is always > suspect. > > Anybody got any ideas? I'll sure listen!! > > Thanks, > > John >