Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jun 2014 05:42:00 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inconsistent stumbling on resume throttle..Was "vanagon
              syndrome?"
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

The symptoms clearing after cycling the ignition switch is classic of a problem with the O2 sensor or circuit. Sensors do get intermittent and they are easily fouled by road stuff on the outside and worse oil or antifreeze on the inside. Rich mixtures for any reason can also cause them to carbon foul. On the Vanagon Digifant another common problem is a bad ground for the O2 reference circuit. One of these connections is the ground wire in the harness to the distributor. Check the archives. I have written the procedure to test the O2 sensor wiring in the past. If it can’t be found I can re-write.

Dennis

Thank you I'll see if I can find the write up and then try to understand how to test it. For my own learning and also to see if indeed the O2 sensor was the culprit....

The last time I even thought of that O2 sensor was probably 3-4yrs ago as we traversed the Black Rock desert on rhe back road near Gerlach, Nv. and my O2 sensor light came on...about as far as one can get from anywhere, out there. I was a relative Vanagon rookie and had no connections to the Net or the List...so I worried...but nothing seemed to be actually wrong with the running of the vehicle, so we kept on to St. George, Utah where I picked up a replacement before I learned that really I just needed to push the re-set button... I did later install the replacement...the type with a square junction block for the wires. It has seen it's share of coolant and oil on the external wires. The actual element is installed into one of two of my downpipes on my inline exhaust system, and that primary header tube has a crack in the junction with the exhaust manifold, probably just about 8" upstream of the O2 sensor ... I know I need to fix that exhaust leak, probably first before that O2 sensor is replaced, but it is a difficult fix... It's (the cracked flex joint) situated where you can't really weld it up in place and removing it to weld and still have the proper alignment with the head and the mounts...I think that will take some time, perhaps a couple of trial fits and adjustments...I am not a welder, so I am going to have to pay someone...Not really fea$able to do that right now...