Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:38:40 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inconsistent stumbling on resume throttle..Was "vanagon
              syndrome?"

OK, success! (I'm pretty sure with a 20 mile highway test, so far so good)

I am pretty sure it was the O2 sensor, what with the almost parted sender wire and the sensor itself being old. I put the new one in without much trouble. Then I tested a couple of Temp II senders I had kicking around my spares pile as well as the one that was running in the van. They all tested within the Bently book readings but I went ahead and changed to a different one and cleaned all the contacts there, also. And I found a vacuum line hanging free, the one that comes from the throttle body and controls a warm up valve in the airbox area...That may have been part of my 'hesitation on resume throttle' that has been nagging me for a while but not serious enough to chase down...

On filling this tank of gas today, where I was having the stumbling problem I got only 19mpg, well under my recent average, so I guess I was running very rich at times...It will be interesting to see if my gas mileage goes back to where it was a while back...in the neighborhood of 23-25mpg...recently I have only been seeing 22-23, which doesn't surprise me now that I found the O2 sensor must have been virtually dysfunctional with only one little strand of a 18 ga wire left in the signal sender wire...

I want to thank everyone for helping me with this....You are the greatest! Saved me a lot of false starts...pointed me right to the problem and we got it!