Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jun 2014 06:14:28 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Carat w/auto tranny - weird shifting
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

Even in kick down mode it should upshift before the governor kicks in. Inability to take hills or accelerate is a sign an engine performance issue or a bad torque converter. Yes they go bad and when the no longer multiply torque performance suffers.

Dennis

The kick down may just keep the tranny in second as long as your foot is to the floor, but I don't know, maybe someone else does. You can't over rev, the ECU cuts off the injectors at the red line. (BTDT.)

I've found it's best to manually downshift and then upshift at 4500 rpm or so rather than use the kick down on hills. You can vary your pedal position without it upshifting, which kills your speed really fast!

Your engine may be tired like mine. Have you done a compression test?

Stuart