Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:51:00 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter solenoid powered by fuel pump
              circuit....arrrrgg...long...help!!!
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>

Dunno if it helps any - but my Digifant Service Manual shows both the ECU and the Idle Stabilizer Unit connected to pin 50 on the starter.

John

On 6/26/2014 6:31 PM, OlRivrRat wrote: > Might be a good idea to recheck the area that the smoke was coming from to see if there are any wires that > > might be shorting to ground or to 1another ~ > > ORR ~ DeanB > > On 26 Jun , 2014, at 2:46 PM, Richard Golen wrote: > >> Dear all, >> >> I spent the good part of today trying to figure out why my starter would not disengage when the key turned to on.... >> >> Put in a new ignition switch...same problem... >> Put old starter back...same problem... >> Undid accessory battery and relay...same problem. >> >> The switch power to the starter solenoid is getting current when the switch is turned to start, and when the ignition is in the on position. >> >> I took out my multimeter and checked the switch and the wiring plug....the starter side of the switch was getting power with the key on and at start. >> >> Took the plug off and made a jumper with 4 leads. One to the main power...one for the ignition/instrument panel....one for the fuel pump and the last one for the starter solenoid. >> >> Connected all but the starter solenoid terminals, and then connected the starter. Engine started...starter engaged...disconnected the starter wire....starter still stayed engaged. >> >> Tried it a second time, but disconnected the fuel pump wire....starter immediately disengaged. Went to the starter and attached a multimeter and would get voltage to the solenoid wire in the engine compartment when the fuel pump was getting power from my jumper wires up front. >> Disconnect the fuel pump wire from the jumper, no power to the solenoid. >> >> I a checked the wiring diagrams and the only circuit that seems to be in common with the fuel pump and starter is the ECU... Could my ECU be going bad? Last week I was getting some smoke from the ECU area...took it apart but didn't see anything that looked burnt or fried. >> >> HELP!!! >> >> Ric >> 87 Westy >> >> Sent from my iPad >