Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:28:29 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: TSB Concerning Vanagon Steering Racks
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

I bought my first Vanagon - an 85 GL - in 1990 and the PS leaked like a sieve. A mechanic I knew personally in Anchorage at EERO Volkswagen used a kit and rebuilt it for me. After re-installation, he filled the system with Dextron II ATF and I ran that in the system ever since. And all of my successive Vanagons have had the Dexron ATF - and I've never hand any problems with it. My current vans are running Mavel racks - one fairly new - the other 15 years old - currently have Dextron III ATF in the systems. Dextron II/III certainly appears to be trouble free.

John

On 6/24/2014 9:45 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > Kenneth, no expert here and not privy to such a bulletin. However, my mechanic just installed a Maval rebuilt power steering rack for me, and he flushed and filled the system with Dexron ATF. I had been running that, and topping off with it because the rack was leaking. I hope that is the proper fluid. David McNeely > > ---- "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote: >> Yesterday I was speaking with a shop about installing a rebuilt Vanagon >> steering rack. The mechanic insisted that there was a TSB concerning >> changing from Dexron ATF for the power steering fluid to the mineral oil >> bases power steering fluid that was used in some Audis back in the 80s. >> Does anyone know anything about this? I have always used the ATF and >> never had a problem. When I get the Maval racks from the factory they have >> red fluid in them which I assume is ATF. So if they are using it for >> testing, I am also assuming that the rebuilder would want you to use ATF in >> the system as well. >> >> If anyone can shed some light on this or dig up the TSB for me to read it >> would be much appreciated. If you have ALL-DATA it should be in there. >> >> -- >> Thanks, >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com > > -- > David McNeely >