Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jul 2014 11:03:51 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon salvage hopefully (long)
Comments: To: Richard Koller <brvkoller@GMAIL.COM>

I concur with Dennis, broken head stud most likely.

Ken On 7/1/2014 10:30 AM, Richard Koller wrote: > Greetings all, > My tale begins on a high note. Some background: subject is '91 carat > autobox, 180K miles total. I recently replaced leaky head and head gasket > after 13 years and 120K miles. Replacement head was used with approx. 100K, > checked it for leaks using " poor man's method " I poured pure propanol in > all the openings of the head and it did not leak. > Oil pressure was measured a year ago and had between 5 and 10 psi at idle > normal running temps. Van ran very well, and passed Maryland emissions last > week. Mileage was improved since head replacement. I thought all was > relatively well. > Then last weekend I'm driving 65 mph on Capitol beltway in Md. far left > lane. I thought the van seemed a bit sluggish but I was going up a hill so > did not worry. Suddenly, I feel a slight jerk/miss in the engine and van > begins to slow. There was no banging or knocking or any untoward noises, > but when I looked in the rear view mirror, I see the beltway engulfed in > blue smoke from my van. Luckily its a Sunday morning and traffic is light > and I manage to maneuver the van to the right side of the highway right at > an exit. Time elapsed at this point is about 60 seconds. As I get on the > off ramp, I notice the coolant level light is blinking and I quick turn off > the ignition and I manage to coast to a safe spot off the road. Naturally > I'm curious as to what has just happened. I look underneath first and see > some slight dripping from above, there's no smoke or steam coming out of > the engine. I remove the engine cover and don't see anything obvious, no > rods sticking out of the crankcase or oil covering everything. I do notice > some brown frothy stuff near the breather tower however, so I check the oil > level. Here's the low note. The crankcase was full of an oil antifreeze > homogenate, so something obviously had catastrophically failed inside. > After I had the poor victim towed home, I drained the crankcase and > collected a couple gallons of the evil mixture. The coolant seemed to be > draining from the whole system because I popped off the bleeder bolt from > the radiator and the flow increased. Must be a big hole somewhere. I > popped off the valve covers and everything seemed in place no loose rocker > arms or springs. There was the foul goo in one side, almost none in the > other. Anyway, does the List wisdom think there's hope to salvage this sad > powerplant? I know it will have to be completely disassembled. I'm > concerned that the cat may have been trashed by all the oil burned through > it any insight on that? The ATF was uncontaminated by the way. Might this > be a failed oil cooler by chance? Any and all comments, strategy etc > welcome. > Thanks, > Rick Koller >

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242