Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 2014 11:16:33 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant question
Comments: To: Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>

never have experienced that. maybe it's because I had a small amount of water soluble oil...machinist's cutting oil ( not all version of that stuff are water soluble I recently found out ) . .. this as a water pump lube and anti-corrosion additive. 25 yrs and hundreds of vehicles successfully treated this way.

'It's all about stopping, treating, and preventing corrosion' .. particularly in cooling system and electrical connections.

On 7/4/2014 11:03 AM, Jeff Schwaia wrote: > Be careful with Water Wetter. It will leave a residue after a while. > > Google "Water Wetter Brown" or "Water Wetter Slime" > > Cheers, > > Jeff > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) > Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 12:21 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Coolant question > > that is adddressed clearly right on the side of a bottle of Water Wetter.. > they site a dino test , > using plain water, > plain water with water wetter, > 50/50 a-frz mix, > and that mix with water wetter. > > water with water wetter cools best.. > they also mention that an anti-frz misture of less than 50/50 ( less a-frz ) cools better than 50/50. > > it works too. > > had this happen .. > 85 Adventurewagon , 2.1 waterboxer engine stock 1.9 cooling system .. > but I added the 2.1 type oil cooler.. > and water wetter.. > went on a 1,500 or so mile trip .. > my temp needle was glued dead in the middle of the temp gauge scale .. > hills or speed didn't make the needle budge. > On 7/3/2014 2:05 PM, Don Hanson wrote: >> Water Wetter does work. I used it in my racer, also and when the >> cooling system is maxxed out, it raises the Max a significant amount. >> Vanagons usually don't have an over heating problem...unless >> something isn't quite right...In that situation, Water Wetter might be worthwhile, >> but normally they seem to cool just fine without it. Can't hurt, I >> guess...but at the track you aren't running glycol >> antifreeze/coolant...usually just water is required...so water wetter >> has a real purpose...it helps plain water exchange heat better...in an >> antifreeze mix, probably not so much.. >> >> >> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Michael Magnani >> <mfmagnani@sbcglobal.net> >> wrote: >> >>> I followed with interest the illuminating thread regarding vanagon >>> cooling systems and I'd like to pose one more question. Has anyone >>> used Redline Water Wetter in their WBX? We use it in the Sprint Car I >>> crew on, as do all the other racers in the pits. Granted, we're >>> running a 700 HP, 360 cu in Chevy V8 that runs on alcohol, but the >>> concept is the same: improving the efficiency of the cooling system. Any thoughts or opinions? >>> Mike M >>> >>> Sent from my iPad