Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 2014 04:24:47 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday OT...my Poor Man's Syncro...(AWD GM Safari)
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Yes, I figured I can probably 'learn' how to manage the Automatic transmission a little better than I do so far.. I don't think it will ever be as controllable as using a clutch and gear lever to actually engage any gear and match engine speeds to wheel speeds, etc.

There is a web forum detailing all the possible drive line alterations to these vans...the easiest being to swap to the '98> electronic module controlled AWD that is more of a selectable 4wd and a dual range, also. With that later system, an improvement on the viscous coupling driveline, you can have an electronic/vacuum switch or a mechanical pull wire switch to select 2wd, 4wd or 4wd Lo range.. 4wd/Awd, that is a whole other topic... The other often done 'modification' is to find a junkyard Blazer or S-10 pick up and substitute the drive line components from that, since the engines and the chassis are plug and play, and those other GM parts vehicles are common and inexpensive.

All in all though, I think these vans are OK...