Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 2014 09:53:28 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update on AFM testing procedure
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

( opinion and thoughts appreciated here ) Speaking of Throttle Position Sensors.......

I've never had to replace or even be concerned about Throttle Position Switches, ever, like in 30 yrs of full time car repair. but I am now. I've got a EFI vehicle that starts and runs fine, but 'falls on its face' power wise at anything above about 8 % throttle. ( I could drive it across town easily at 30 mph in 5th gear )

when given half throttle it revs with power, then looses power, over and over. In gear, or with no load in neutral.

my readings on the TPS ( with digital voltmeter ) are slightly inconsistent . Where I want to see 0.6 volta at zero throttle ..sometimes it's that, sometimes it's 0.5 volts. where I want to see 4.9 volts at max throttle ...it might only reach 3.9 volts 'sometimes.'

'maybe' there's a 'drop out spot' in the TPS travel. It won't come apart in any way for internal inspection. TPS appears to be original at 101K miles, 24 yrs age.

the first quote I got on a new TPS was $ 244. then got another at $ 175, and online they are more like $ 160.

any thoughts anyone ?

I'm also checking into fuel pressure , as the vehicle is 24 yrs old, and lives in a rust-prone envirnoment ( fuel filter is new ) . Gas does not appear to have water in it.

Unlike vanagons , there's no handy fuel pressure testing port. Suppossed to use "Adapter XYZ" ....nothing easily acquired I'd think. Gonna have to rig something up. Fuel pressure specs .... Runs at very high fuel pressure too - - 38 PSI 'at curb idle' vacuum hose connected to fuel pressure regulator, 48 to 57 psi hose disconnected. Havn't been able to actually test that yet though.

timing belts, plug wires, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter, all new. I also found the wiring glitch that was keeping it from being able to roll start.

any ideas appreciated, TIA, Scott

On 7/5/2014 8:16 AM, Neil N wrote: > My Jetta swap MAF (image of another Jetta swap MAF): > > http://tinyurl.com/nbqh2ob > > is located lower than OEM (Jetta) position (image looking up at my > intake, MAF on RH): > > http://tinyurl.com/kb9ufdg > > so may be more prone to oil fouling than in the original Mk3 > configuration. That said, I haven't noted any fouling issues and > usually clean it when I replace the air filter. David's comment below > makes me think that "yes", it burns off any oil during use. There is a > protective mesh on this MAF. > > The Jetta engine management uses a wiper & resistive strip in the > throttle position sensor. It is similar in function to the WBX AFM > strip, but is smaller with only 3 wires (in manual transmission form). > It tests in a similar fashion to the AFM on a WBX but I have yet to > put an analogue meter on it to check for dropouts. > > Neil. > > > > On 7/5/14, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > >> ..... The MAF has a cobweb platinum >> wire or some such strung across the airflow and >> is happiest squeaky clean (burns itself clean >> every time it starts, I think. Very fragile and >> doesn't move, protected from debris by some sort >> of shield in front of it I imagine?). >> > > -- > Neil n > > Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca > > '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: > > http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >