Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 2014 18:19:34 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: First camping trip problems
Comments: To: Trevor Reynolds <gneiss9@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Trevor,

While I don't have one of the fancy self igniting fridges I can give you tips on what worked for me.

I used compressed air blown into drain line at bottom of fridge to clear out a fair bit of dust and crud in my fridge the other week. It can't hurt but to be honest I don't know how much it helps. Certainly stuff comes out of both the exhaust and intake tubes.

What I do know is that my fridge will start very easily but sometimes will not sustain after I let go of the safety thermocouple over ride button. What I find works is keeping the button depressed and continue pumping the air pump. There is no fear of hone air pump blowing the flame out. A very big help is a brighter led in the panel above the fridge. Others have done this, and it is an old trick. What the brighter led does is let you know immediately the combustion situation in the chamber. The glow of the led varies directly in response to the flame size. I can see the led glowing bright then dimming when I let go of the over ride button and I know I have to keep the override button depressed and continue pumping.

I'll be getting more familiar with the newer fridge as my friend left his 91 westy at my place while he is overseas and I'll be pulling the fridge to give it a once over and to install the city water hatch fan mod.

Alistair