Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 2014 12:36:04 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shift Lever + Box (1981, 1985) PICS

Hi all.

First off, my apologies for hastily posting such potentially misleading information. This was based, in part, on previous search of part numbers online; I'd seen the same parts for what appeared to be all model years.

Details shown in Bentley aside, Van-cafe.com specifies parts for a given shifter depending on the diameter of the shift lever itself. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_248_332/shifter-base-repair-kit.html Of course I just HAD to try the 1981 shift lever in the 1985 shift box. ;)

Some images and notes on the parts:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101777560829915587594/19811985ShiftLevers#

I inspected the parts currently being used in my 1985 shift linkage and inspected/lubed the spare 1981 shift leaver parts. With the 1981 shifter assembly installed on a 1985 shift box, engine off, I could feel the gears but due to base plate differences and lack of spacer, the 1981 lever becomes too "long" thus the passenger side fork won't line up with the guide in the shifter box. (1st, 2nd gear) It swings too far. It felt like I could find reverse but I'm not certain. That said, i.e. if one was in the middle of no where with a failed shifter, and felt comfortable driving it this way, this arrangement MIGHT work. If both shifter and box were available, it wouldn't take much more time to swap the shift box.

Both shifters, and shift boxes, have the alignment holes.

At the very least, I inspected the parts on each and gained a much better understanding of how they work.

Neil.

On 7/2/14, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just yesterday, I found my spare shifter (base, ball joint parts etc) > from an 1981 Vanagon. It appears to be the same as shifter from an > '85. > > New parts would be the way to go, but if you find a good used one, it > seems that this set of parts, from bottom end to knob in cab, is the > same. >

On 7/2/14, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> There may be differences at the shift box where shift plate mounts. > Not sure if, or how, this affects the shift plate itself. >

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej