Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:13:34 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone Ever Remove/Replace ECU Wiring Harness in a Westy?
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>

I have been having to do this job more and more lately. On a 2wd Vanagon and even a Westy it isn't too bad although because of the cabinetry in the Westy, getting the ECU plug out through the hold under the back seat is a little bit of a chore. With a Syncro you have to deal with the gas tank being in the way, but again it is doable without too much trouble.

I start inside the van, unplug the ECU, and unhook the ground by it. Turn the plug sideways and push it out through the hole in the firewall under the seat. Then you cut some tie wraps until you come to the engine bay. Here you will just keep tracing the harness, unplugging things as you go. It is really pretty simple and not very time consuming. When you go to put it back, just start at the end of the harness which is the idle stabilizer control unit behind the passenger side tail light, and plug things in as you go. If there is something that doesn't get plugged, investigate that area and you will find it. Thread it back toward the hole under the rear seat, thread the ECU plug through the hole, go back and tie wrap the harness to keep it out of the way of heat and oil. Be sure you have a good ground connection near the ECU and plug that back in and you are done.

I would recommend a new harness if you can afford it. They are going for $750, made in the USA. The VW ones were around $1400 new when you used to be able to get them. A good used harness is usually between $200-400 and again you don't know how long it is going to last. It could be good for a long while, or it could crap out tomorrow. That is always the risk you take with a used part.

The Vanagon engine harnesses are getting old and worn out. The insulation of the wires is getting brittle and cracking with age, heat and time. Corrosion is taking it's toll. We are going to see more and more strange issues over time because of harness problems.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

On 7/14/2014 2:23 PM, Richard Golen wrote: > Hi, > > The subject line says it all. I'm going to have to replace the engine compartment wiring harness that got fried in my 87 Westy. The job looks straight forward enough in the engine compartment, but it looks like the ECU part of the harness is going to a pain. > > From my initial look, it appears that I might have to remove the rear sear and it's lower compartment. Not an easy job by my guess. The other option, as I see it is to cut away the damaged section and splice in a new section. > > Has anyone done this and have some suggestions? > > Thanks. > > Ric > > Sent from my iPad

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242