Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:11:29 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cool it...
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

re 'pinching a radiator line' ... that's what the thermostat does !

it restricts flow until desired temp is reached. theoretically you could have a radiator sized for a 10,000 cubic inch engine .. and the t-stat would only allow proper temp flow.

( btw ..I may have replied to some old posts accidently ..sorry ! )

for sure ....coolant flowing through the rad the correct direction is very important in engine conversions.

what temp t-stat does it have in it now ? 170ish or 180 is appropiate for summer. of course...a cooler t-stat does not make it run cooler when heat load is high ( in other words , it does not increase actual cooling capacity ) . It just lets coolant flow start earlier.

this is what I'd look into .. proper plumbing layout. make sure the t-stat is a good temp and working correctly ( many modern engines are t-stated to run quite hot ..like 195 ) . consider the radiator itself ...if it's very old ...it's on the list of suspects. Coolant ....a less 'rich' mixture than 50/50 cools better than 50/50. Read the side of a Water Weter bottle. Water wetter is a great product. as for oil cooler ..would be nice to know oil temps first. Genrally, I wouldn't say an oil cooler helps reduce running coolant temps much at all. oil temp will always get up to coolant temp in a while, then get a little higher in hot conditions. if coolant is say 190 ....under high temp loads it's easy to see 250F oil temp. Which is not 'bad'. You want oil temps around 225 to 250 'roughly.' Anything like 350F is 'redline max/bad.'

Rad fan ....you want that working properly of course. here's what I like to see......it's a good test to just let the van sit idling on a warm day to check rad fan operation. I like to see them cycle on, run say 3 minutes, then shut off, then come back on whatever...4 minutes later.. if the rad fan cycles off and on regularily like that.. and temp needle is where it should be ..around 50 to 55 % on the guage.. that tells you lots of things are working like they should be.. the water pump , the rad, the whole system etc.

btw..I assume Bostig has their water pump pulley size and ratio figured out.. and I will also warn that an engine designed to be in the front of a car, with rad 'right there' inches away will drive the water pump at a lower rpm than we might choose for our rigs, with the engine 'way back there' and the rad way up front.

the water pump pulley has to be a small enough diameter to spin the w. pump fast enough .. ideally ..faster than it did in the stock Ford setup with front engine and rad. So consider that factor. ( though, if this was a 'regular issue' with Bostig engines they'd have it fixed by now, or we might have heard something.')

it's nice to see a Bostig conversion person on the list. I can't think of a time I have seen one on this list.

vanagons....idiosyncratic .. 'demanding' to own and operate at times.. well worth it, expecially when they work right !

ps ...have signed title in hand, 87 Syncro Doka located in So. Oregon needs a new home. Window of opporunity to buy it and drive it away starts Friday July 11 ...and extends for a few weeks. 1.9 AAZ TD engine. Runs just great. needs a few things ..but hat's normal . aloha, Scott On 7/8/2014 2:43 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > Be sure your coolant lines to the radiator were crossed over for proper flow > through the radiator per the Bostig installation manual: > https://bostig.zendesk.com/entries/25075132-Bostig-Factory-Manual . A good > Vanagon radiator has plenty of capacity, so I think you may have a plumbing > issue. Email the folks at Bostig as well. > https://bostig.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new > > I remember a couple of years ago when I was considering the Bostig > conversion they were recommending pinching one of the coolant lines because > the radiator was too effective. I think it was just a hose clamp with a > block of wood or some such thing. Check for that up over the spare tire. > > Good luck! > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Geneva Saint-Amour > Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 4:53 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Cool it... > > The gauge got to the top. The red light blinked. We pulled over. The fan > came on. Just one speed. The radiator is 3 years old. The air is purged. > We have a dash switch for the fan.Keep it coming.... I am a sponge, soaking > up your information and ideas. > > > = >