Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:38:47 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Cooled Crate Engines

When it comes to engines there are many variables and at times suppliers get an undeserved bad reputation and customer expectations are not realistic. Especially for the air cooled engines one needs to consider that most engine and head cores are junk. The usually require major machine and even welding work to be usable and these processes can only be truly tested after install and operation. That is where warranty support comes in. From my experience most rebuilt engine failures from defects are apparent immediately. After some mileage the failure is the result of a bad installation-setup or the problem for the last failure was not corrected. One the air cooled Vanagon engines overheating is the number one enemy. Loose heads, dropped seats, burned pistons, etc. are all the result of overheating or detonation. For the Vanagon the problem is compounded by the fact that almost none of them have a working EGR system. Here are some suggestions: If having the engine installed by a shop, have them supply the engine. Yes you will pay more but that way the shop can take responsibility for the "job" including post installation support. If you supply the engine the shop should only be responsible for a problem with that installation. As all engine companies pay reduced shop times or labor rates for warranty work don’t expect a sop to eat the comeback if they didn't profit from the parts sale.

Avoid an off the shelf engine. Specify what you want. Your want new heads and quality piston/cylinder sets. Even for the waterboxers there is some junk out there where the tolerances are off enough you start out with piston slap.

Consider having your engine overhauled. What is wrong with it? You will know what issues are there and can ensure they are addressed or know if the engine is not rebuild able. Again most engine cores are from these situations. Maybe you don’t even ned a full rebuild.

For the install make sure everything is in place. All cooling tin, thermostat and flaps, and yes the EGR. Have the injectors tested or replace the set. One lean injector will cook an air cooled engine in short order. Make sure engine cover seal is also there. Hot air from underneath doesn't not make for good cooling as it enters the fan. Ignition timing also critical. Yes advancing it make the engine sound better and feel like there is more power. Here comes that detonation and overheating.

Install a cylinder head temperature gauge. It will change your driving habits and top speed. Especially on long drives and hilly terrain you will lift your foot as that gauge rises.

As for suppliers one thing I have to say about GEX is that thier warranty support is very good. Anytime I though there was a legit claim they took care of it for me. I guess with the amount of welding and machine they do to re-use major castings is a reason for high failures. I have to wonder what their real failure rate is. They can't stay in business if they have to warranty a lot of their engines. I won't bash others but I am currently in the middle a GEX (1.7L 72 Bus), gone bad and two water boxers from someone else. Even though the GEX failed from a bad installation, (not me), and the vehicle owner purchased it directly they are setting up to work with me.

Dennis