Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:16:05 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacement fuel tank question

There are countless aftermarket tanks available in just about any configuration and size you could ever need. I looked, first for competition fuel cells when I built my Porsche racer and again when I needed to replace a water tank in my Alaskan Camper... Really, you can find almost any size and shape with inlets and outlets just about everywhere you could imagine or ever need...Find a space you want to put the spare tank...measure it up and go looking. You can plumb the spare tank to automatically feed into your main tank, or have it switched. An in-tank feeder pump for the secondary tank, and you are set. Any of the racer supply houses online have ooodles of filler options or you could branch it off the main filler neck with some thought. There are even 'soft' fuel bladders that will conform to odd shapes...used in yachts. It's simply a matter of thinking it all through, finding the proper size and configuration and doing it...

here's a link to get you started.. http://www.atlfuelcells.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwl7ieBRCK2rCtqcCS7jESJACZKQFKzjHbx3J2yxhwuw3svN1SovK03HBBiOCxKUVGzqDsIRoCpsjw_wcB

When I did my racecar, we put narrow but deep orange juice pitcher upright inside the fuel cell....then we plumbed two feeder pumps, one from either corner of the fuel cell to feed into this OJ pitcher, where the main fuel pump picked it up and supplied the 6.5 liter beast...That way I could run just as little fuel as I needed to go the race distance without having fuel starvation issues on a long high G corner with a fuel pick up being uncovered...either or both feeder pumps supplied the OJ pitcher and kept it full and overflowing back into the cell always....except when I miss calculated and ran completely out of gas.